You will benefit from the expertise of specialist practitioners and lecturers who provide you with a supportive environment to develop the fundamental skills needed to embark on a career in the field. The foundation programme will prepare you for undergraduate study in architecture at Manchester School of Architecture. We will help you develop your personal and academic skills, expose you to various communication and presentation techniques, show you how to understand and analyse project briefs and conceptualise design solutions, as well as giving you an insight into the practice of architecture. The programme culminates in an architectural design studio project providing excellent preparation for learning at degree level.You will be fully immersed into life at Manchester School of Architecture; working with fellow students when the opportunities arise and culminating your studies with a design studio project which relates to those undertaken by current students.
What's more, you'll be inspired by the world-famous city of Manchester - the industrial revolution birthplace turned 21st century metropolis - and its vibrant, contemporary and innovative architecture scene.
Manchester is a showcase for recent regeneration and historic context, much of which has been designed with the involvement of our current students and graduates.
The city recognises the value of high-quality design, together with innovative and pragmatic approaches to resolving practical issues.
- We're ranked 5th in the world and 2nd in the UK for Architecture (QS 2023 World University Rankings by Subject).
- Gain an insight into the practice of Architecture and enhance your personal and academic skills needed for undergraduate study in the field.
- Benefit from an ideal and accessible transition between School and University, or to support a change in career, you will gain expert support in developing design portfolios and first-hand insights into Architecture as a career path.
- Successful completion of the Foundation guarantees you a place on the BA (Hons) Architecture degree course at Manchester School of Architecture.
- Take advantage of facilities across two campuses, The University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University, as you study at the innovative collaboration between the two - Manchester School of Architecture (MSA).
- Enjoy automatic and free membership of the MSSA, the UK's largest student society of architecture.