Marianna is a Senior Lecturer at the MA Architecture & Urbanism and registered Architect (ARB).
Her research on cities, adopts a holistic view to exploring how a city is perceived, operates and delivers the truly smart vision. A truly smart vision underpins the design for the urban context, the policy design, and adopting caring practices within and for the city, having people at the heart of the conceptualisation. Additionally, her research has a clear focus on the international agendas, minimising the inequality, implementing decolonisation into designing for different contexts and responding to local cultures and challenges and taking in consideration the international agendas (SDGs, climate crisis, global health).
She is part of the 'Caring-with cities' team, a British Academy funded project, where she worked on the Lancaster case along with Lancaster City vision, exploring the policy design for caring practices beyond the institutional care. She has been part of EPSRC projects (Liveable Cities, Assessing the Underworld, EPRSC IAA Impact Acceleration Fund-Green Infrastructure Corridors), collaborated with the UK Collaboratorium for Research on Infrastructure in Cities UKCRIC and organised workshops (Smart Cities Alliance, Birmingham). She has published in journals as well as conferences and she has been invited to speak about her research at events and Universities (University of Birmingham, UK; University of Liverpool, UK; University of Coventry, UK; DongHua University, Shanghai, China; Nottingham University, Ningbo, China; University of Xi’an Jiaotong, Suzhou, China).
Prior to her academic career, she was involved in large urban development projects in China -Twin Cities-of 3.5 million square meters, Kunming (also Shanghai and Xiamen). Also, worked at the Al Falah project, a 12.5 million square meters development for local populations in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Before her international experience, she worked at architectural organisations in the UK (ATKINS) and other architectural practices in the UK.
Academic and professional qualifications
- Fellowship of the HEA (FHEA) Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice PG CAP.
- Scholarship of Practice an Academic Curriculum Enquiry (SPACE) “Decolonising the Architectural Curriculum”.
- PhD Civil Engineering 2019 University of Birmingham, UK
- PG Dip Architecture (International) RIBA II 2008 Huddersfield University, UK. Higher Commendation
- BA Hons Architecture RIBA I 2005 Huddersfield University, UK
- BA Hons Interior Design 2001 De Montfort University, UK
- Lecturer, Urban Design Policy – Lancaster School of Architecture, UK. 2020-2023
- Research Fellow. University of Birmingham, UK, Department of Civil Engineering.Strategic Placement for Cities Impact: Birmingham City Council.“Monitoring Birmingham's metabolism as it 'goes for gold' 2022”. 2018-2019
- Research Associate ‘Liveable Cities’ EPSRC (EP/J017698)of Birmingham, UK, Department of Civil Engineering. 2007-2008
- Lecturer BA Interior Design Raffles Design Institute, 东华大学, Donghua University Shanghai. 2012-2014
- Senior Architect, GDG Ltd Shanghai, China. 2011-2012
- Project Leader in Twin Cities, Architecture, CADI, Kunming, China. 2010-2011
- Architectural Designer, GHM Ltd Abu Dhabi, UAE, RIBA I &II. 2009-2010
- Architectural Designer, ATKINS, Leeds, UK, RIBA I. 2008-2009
Prizes and awards
- First Prize – Award in Sustainability (Peter Stead Award, Civic Society, Huddersfield) 2008 Huddersfield University, UK
- Higher Commendation PG Dip ArchIitecture (International) “Workers’ Library in Al Shindagha, Dubai” 2008 Huddersfield University, UK
Editiorial Board membership
- Associate Editor Institute Engineering Technology IET Smart Cities Journal
- Reviewer ‘Smart Infrastructure’ Institute of Civil Engineers Journal
- Reviewer Behaviour & Information Technology’ journal Taylor and Francis
- Reviewer ‘Journal of Urban Technology’ Routledge Taylor and Francis
Membership of professional associations
- Architect ARB Registered, Membership number 098038B
- Architect TEE Hellenic Chamber of Architects Registered, Membership number 134720
- Member of the International Society for Urban Health ISUH