Glenn Ombler is a Lecturer in Architecture at Manchester School of Architecture where, as a member of the Technologies Team, he is responsible for the preparation and delivery of Technologies lectures (structures, construction and Case Study) and for the setting and assessment of the Technologies project work in BA1, BA2 and BA3. He is currently the BA3 Technologies Unit lead.
As a part-time lecturer Glenn combines his teaching role with his work in architectural practice as a director of Ombler Iwanowski Architects, an award winning Manchester based practice that he co-founded in 2001.
Glenn has a particular interest in the re-use of buildings and is responsible for several completed and on-going projects involving the refurbishment of listed buildings and post-war modern buildings in Manchester and Liverpool. He was responsible for the design of the award winning Zenith Building, which involved the adaptive re-use of the former Post Office Headquarters in central Manchester. He is currently involved in the regeneration of Droylsden Shopping Centre, entailing proposals for the deep refurbishment of the existing 1970s buildings and the insertion of new retail units, houses and apartments.
Associate Lecturer, Manchester School of Architecture (2012-21)
- Preparation and delivery of BA1,and BA2 Structures, Construction and Case Study lectures
- Setting and assessment of lecture assignments
- BA1, BA2 and BA3 Technology Design and Case Study Project tuition and assessment
Senior Lecturer, Leeds Metropolitan University School of Architecture (2001-2007)
- BA3 year co-lead (with Steven Morant)
- BA1 and BA2 portfolio assessment
- Yr 6 personal tutor and assessor
External examiner roles
External Examiner, Leeds Beckett University School of Architecture (2020-23)
- External Examiner for BA Architecture
Director, Ombler Iwanowski Architects (2001-)
- Droylsden Town Centre (2015-) Urban regeneration projects.
- St Thomas Centre, Manchester (2009-). Listed Building refurbishment. MSA award.
- Zenith Building, Manchester (2001-08) British Council of Offices and MSA awards.
- Disability Stockport (2008-) Deep re-fit and extension of former Job Centre.
- Piggotts Hall, Cheshire (2014-18) Farm buildings Conversion, restoration and extension.
- Bolmynydd, Pwllheli (2011-2018 ) Passivhaus certified house , using ICF system.
- Memorial Hall, Manchester (2005-11) Listed Building restoration. MSA award.
- Mayfield, Manchester (2008). Development Framework and Masterplan.
Associate, Austin-Smith:Lord (1987-2001)
- John Rylands Library Extension (2001). Project Associate. RIBA award.
- Cambridge Crown Courts (2000). Project Architect.
- Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester (1997-2000) Project Associate. Civic Trust Award.
- Avril Robarts Centre, Liverpool (1995-97) Project Architect. RIBA Award.
- National Museum of Photography Film and Television (1997-99) Concept Designer.
- Aldham Robarts Centre, Liverpool (1990-95) Project Architect. RIBA Award
- Manchester Airport Rail Terminal (1991- 93) Project Architect. RIBA Award
Government and industry links
Manchester City Council Historic Buildings and Conservation Areas Panel
Panel member (2007-)
Deputy Chair (2010-21)
Manchester Society of Architects
Council member (2007-2013)
Membership of professional associations
Architects Registration Board (ARB)
Registered 1989. No. 055979B
Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
Corporate Member, elected 1990