MA in Architecture and Urbanism
A taught postgraduate course that conducts research into how global cultural and economic forces influence contemporary cities. The design, functioning and future of urban situations is explored in written, drawn and modelled work that builds on the legacy of twentieth century urban theory and is directed towards the development of sustainable cities.
- This course is jointly accredited by Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) and the University of Manchester (UoM) with cross-disciplinary connections between the Manchester School of Architecture, the School of Environment and Development (UoM) and Manchester Institute for Research and Innovation in Art and Design (MMU).
- This is an internationally based course that actively disseminates students’ thesis work through conferences, exhibitions, competitions and publications.
1 year (full-time)
2 years (part-time)
Through this course you will begin to engage directly with a chosen research subject area, gather data and formulate an original approach in your practice. You will synthesise your project culminating in the production of a leading-edge proposition until you present and contextualise your thesis. This internationally based course actively disseminates students’ thesis work through conferences, exhibitions, competitions and publication.
This course can be considered as partially meeting the requirements for recognition at Part 2 level (RIBA/ARB) through APEL provisions applied to individual graduates. The course is jointly accredited with the University of Manchester.
Self, peer and tutor-based assessment methods.
You can find further details about the curriculum in the Programme Specification Document
You will normally have at least an upper second class undergraduate UK honours degree (or international equivalent) in a related field. Alternatively, you may be admitted if you have proven experience in a relevant field.
Students are required to provide a portfolio (digital or hard copy) as part of the application process.
How to Apply
Please apply directly to MMU using our Application Form.
Fees (2017 Entry)
Fees for this course have yet to be confirmed and will be updated shortly.
Eligible alumni receive a 20% discount on their postgraduate tuition fees. Find out more about our Alumni Loyalty Discount.
If you require any further information about this course please use our Course Enquiry Form.
A video about postgraduate studies at the Manchester School of Architecture.
- Red Carpet Treatment for the Red Planet Architect 10 Oct
- FRIENDS OF BOOTLE STREET 5 Oct
- Congratulations! 28 Sep
- Biennale Sessions: 29 June 2016 26 Sep
- Architecture + Urbanism recommends 'Norman Foster: Designing the Future, Starting in The North' 5 Sep
- Human Relations, Social Interaction and Dialogue with the Landscape 11 Jun
- Reporting 'REPORTING FROM THE FRONT' 6 Jun
- FRONTIERS OF RESPONSIVE ARCHITECTURE: Claudio Molina Camacho 26 May